Image Map

Monday, October 20, 2014

Spooky Banner

I'm back! I have been traveling a lot for work the last couple weeks so it has been hard to get a project together to post. So here it is my latest project post. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it. May it inspire you to be festive with your Halloween decorating.

I love the look of fabric banners for decorating. I have seen so many cute ideas online and on Cricut.  Seeing as Halloween is weeks away I wanted to make a Halloween banner for myself. Of course I thought it looked so cute I knew I had to make one for my mom as well.

My final decision was to make a SPOOKY banner with lots of fabric, burlap and black satin ribbon.

Here is what you will need to make this super cute and rustic banner.

1. Cricut Explore (it isn't necessary you can trace the banner pieces out and cut by hand)
2. Cricut Design Space (again not necessary)
3. 1/2 yd of Halloween fabric 
4. 1/2 yd of a second Halloween fabric
5. Craft Interfacing 
6. Burlap Paper or Burlap Material
7. Iron/Ironing Board
8. Black Satin Ribbon
9. Black Cardstock
10. Hot Glue Gun
11. Green Burlap Ribbon
12. Needle & Thread

~ Step One ~

Cut out all of the pieces you will need to put the banner together. 

First we need to cut out of the fabric our banner pieces. I made my largest banner piece 7 x 12in and my smallest banner piece 6 x 11in You want the smallest one to show at least a half inch of the base piece on all sides. 


After the fabric is all cutout its time to iron on the Craft Interfacing. I bought Pellons Fusible Craft Interfacing by the yard at Joanne's. For more details on the materials I bought for this project check out my Craft Haul blog post.

I cut out squares of the interfacing and ironed it onto the back of my largest banner piece. There's no right way to do it. I probably could of taken a large section, fit as many pieces I could have onto the section to use as much of the interfacing as I could. 


After your done you will need to cut off the excess. 

Last item you will need to cut out is the burlap circles. I used burlap paper because it had a good stiffness to it for this project. I use my Cricut and cut out circles that were about the width of my largest banner piece.



I also cut out the letters using heavy black card stock in this fun Halloween font.

For a little extra color to my mainly black and orange banner I made some cute green burlap bows to add to the top of each banner.

(Comment below if you would like me to do a post on how to make ribbons! This really comes in handy with Christmas right around the corner)

Last step was putting it all together (don't do like I did the first time and attach it backwards...whoops!) I attached the satin ribbon to the back of the pendants under the burlap piece so that it remains securely fastened.

This is the finished product (thanks to  my mom's beautiful living room for being the perfect picture back drop)



I would love to hear from you! What sort of fall themed projects would you like to see on the blog? 

As always Happy Crafting and Happy Hauntings! ~ T

No comments:

Post a Comment