Image Map

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

First Blog Post: The Vintage Window Gallery Wall

Welcome to my Blog, Taylor Ink!!

If you are reading this thank you for reading and joining me on my crafting adventures. This first post is about one of my DIY projects that is an absolute labor of love and not quite completed yet. I thought I would share it with you anyways.

I live in a very old mill building that they converted into apartments, which means I have extremely high ceilings and therefore very large walls to decorate. After residing here for a little over a year I thought it was time to decorate (finally) one of the most empty walls in my apartment behind the couch.

My inspiration for this DIY came from seeing a Pin about using vintage windows arranged on a wall to cover the area above a staircase. As soon as I saw this the little light bulb went off in my head, why couldn't I do something similar in my apartment. So the search began for old windows, which is easy here in New Hampshire because many of the homes are very old and many are being fixed up.

My search began on Craigslist. I found a seller in Epping, NH who was fixing up the home that they had recently purchased (a beautiful 1800's home equipped with large barn and all, my dream house). In the large barn that was attached to the house the owners had dozens of old windows and shutters that were left there by the previous inhabitants. 

Shout out to my Mom and Aunt for helping me wade through the dusty and bug ridden piles of windows to find the perfect ones for what I was envisioning. Drum roll please........aaaand here are the winners.

(I ended up not using the shutter, I still have it so I may use it in a future project)

I drew the layout on a piece of paper (very very sloppy) to see how I wanted to arrange the windows on the wall. When the time came to hang them I used 3M Large Picture Hanging Command Strips. For the larger windows I used 10 pairs (20 individual strips) and for the smaller windows I used 8. They are a little bit heavier than a framed picture, the packaging says 4 sets of strips can hold 16lbs.

One of the windows that was just the glass I decided to add a 'T' to it that was just laying around the apartment. You can either do a vinyl cutout or a cardboard letter if you would like, either works. 


Once I added the 'T' and decided on which layout I wanted to pursue it was time to hang the windows. It was not an easy task and I recommend that you have someone there to help if possible. Thankfully my wonderful boyfriend Alex was here for the weekend and helped hang them. Thanks bubs!


Voila! This is what the final outcome looks like. My mom, when she was here visiting, bought me the beautiful wall sconces from a small home decor and country store here in Dover called Back Home Memories. I added some battery operated candles that I purchased from Target to give it some ambiance at night. (couldn't find ones on a timer which would of been better since it's a bit high for me to turn them on and off by hand).

I still want to add a few more things to my window gallery wall so I will be sure to post when I finally decide!

I hope you liked my first post on the blog! look for another post later this week about my new Cricut Explore which is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday!! This is my first die-cutting machine so I am extremely excited to get my hands on it. 

What ideas do you guys have using vintage windows? Is there another kind of gallery wall you would like to try? I'd love to hear your ideas!

Happy Crafting!!  ~ T



No comments:

Post a Comment